The Volunteer Restoration and Citizen Science Project Coordinator (Coordinator) participates in a yearlong term of AmeriCorps service (1,700 hours) supporting Harpeth Conservancy (HC), a science-based conservation organization working to restore and protect clean water and healthy ecosystems for rivers in Tennessee.
The Coordinator — through community outreach, events, and strategic communication efforts — leads volunteers in reducing waste by targeting how it ends up in our waterways and by emphasizing responsible recreation.
The Coordinator serves as part of a 23-person cohort of civic-minded individuals who receive skills training, professional development, and networking opportunities through a partnership between HC and the Hands On Nashville (HON) AmeriCorps Program.
- Recruit and manage volunteers and coordinate volunteer events for HC’s science programs
- Coordinate the Citizen Science water quality monitoring program, three to five stream restorations, and river cleanup events around the Greater Nashville region, in collaboration with partner organizations
- Manage and create content for outreach materials, social media, and digital mailings related to the Science, Restoration, and Be River Responsible programs
- Expand the number of volunteers using the Water Reporter app to report problems, and coordinate the response to fix problems found
- Assist with the summer water quality survey and reporting results to the public
- Create outreach programming to provide analysis and follow up on effective individual actions for various audiences
- Present work of HC and help write project–specific grant proposals (up to 10% of service hours)
Preferred Knowledge & Skills:
- Background in environmental science or similar study areas
- Confident public speaker with effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work outside and lift up to 50 pounds, in varying weather conditions throughout the year
- Commitment to fulfill a one-year term of service (August 17, 2020-August 8, 2021)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to transportation (Members will be reimbursed for service-related mileage.)
- U.S. Citizenship
- National Service Criminal History Check clearance
HON does not discriminate based on age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, or other factors which deny the essential humanity of all people.
- Living allowance of $17,000, paid bi-weekly throughout the term of service
- Education award of $6,095, applicable to student loans and/or future education expenses at an accredited institution, upon fulfillment of service obligations
- Healthcare coverage, if elected
- Childcare benefits, if eligible
- Professional development training and ample networking opportunities
How to Apply
Apply online at my.americorps.gov
For more information, please contact:
About Harpeth Conservancy:
The Harpeth Conservancy in middle Tennessee, is a science-based conservation organization dedicated to clean water and healthy ecosystems for rivers in Tennessee. We employ scientific expertise and collaborative relationships to develop, promote and support broad community stewardship and action.
HON builds capacity for individuals and agencies to meet needs through volunteerism. The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through support from the Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, Volunteer Tennessee, and participating AmeriCorps host organizations.About AmeriCorps:AmeriCorps is a voluntary public service program where members commit their time to address critical community needs. Learn more about AmeriCorps here.
- Date Posted: May 13, 2020
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 08/17/2020
- Working Hours: 35-40 hrs/wk; M-F, 8:00am – 4:30pm